DIY Scrabble Coasters

I was cleaning out a few cabinets that Atticus managed to explore the other day, thus reminding me that it was time to get that mess in order before I have to pick up old batteries, cat toys, and CD's (you remember CD's, don't you?) from the living room floor for the third time in an hour. In the process, I came across not one, but two Scrabble games. Seeing as how I don't think I've ever played either, I pondered over what I could do with the extra Scrabble tiles and came up with an easy and ingenious notion to turn them into coasters! After perusing Pinterest for some loose instructions (which delayed the start of this project for another hour because, let's face it, that site is addictive and amazing), I came up with a plan of action.

Behold, the Scrabble tile coasters! So easy! So affordable! So aesthetically pleasing for your coffee table!




Here's what you'll need for 6 coasters:

96 Scrabble Tiles (one game will cover you)
60 inches of felt
Wood Glue
Scissors or exacto knife

1. Cut your felt into 3 x 3.5 inch squares until you have the base for 6 coasters. This is where you'll glue the Scrabble tiles. Felt is perfect for this project because the edges don't fray, making sewing unnecessary. Plus, they'll stay put on your coffee table.

2. Place a dot of wood glue on the back of your first tile and place it in the corner of the felt. Continue to do this until you have 4 rows of 4 tiles. Don't worry if there's excess felt around the edges (there will be)...you can easily cut this off once the glue has dried. Be careful not to spell any dirty words with your tiles like I almost did. Or maybe that's what you're going for, in which case curse away. I just know that at some point Atticus will be learning how to read and I'd hate for him to learn the word "fuck" for the first time from my living room decor.



3. Repeat step 2 until all 6 coasters have been glued.

4. Wait at least 45 minutes for the wood glue to dry before trimming excess felt from the edges.

5. Voila! Le Scrabble Coaster...Grab a cup of coffee and admire your handiwork!

Comments

Popular Posts